We are happy to announce that our EU project 'RIGGERS' has been selected by the Erasmus+ Swedish agency! RIGGERS has been developed to answer the needs of riggers in professional circus schools, with the aim of enhancing the quality of safety measures and creating an international community eager to exchange skills, advice and expertise to be transmitted to future generations.
In the last 15 years, the circus education sector has grown strongly, in Europe and in the world.
In parallel, there is a growing awareness that safety and prevention in the schools must be a priority. Even though expressing emotions in the circus arts is closely linked to a certain representation of danger, artists have to learn from an early stage to manage and control risks.
Furthermore, circus arts are evolving, enriched by artistic, aesthetic and technical innovations as well as by industrial and technological developments. It is crucial that the circus arts education sector stays adequate to this evolution with a set of unique, specific and up-to-date safety and rigging measures.
The React, Invent, Get together for a Goal: Expertise in Rigging Services (RIGGERS) project has been developed to answer the needs of riggers in professional circus schools, with the aim of enhancing the quality of safety measures and creating an international community eager to exchange skills, advice and expertise to be transmitted to future generations.
During the 2 years of the project, partners will have the chance to exchange good practices and work towards a state of the art for safety and rigging in circus schools. Partners will cooperate through:
- 2 RIGGERS Seminars aiming at sharing school good practices and work towards a state of the art for safety & rigging in circus schools, set the RIGGERS Topics, identify the pairs who will participate in the Riggers Swapping Experience and share the results of the exchanges.
- 8 Riggers Swapping Experience (RSE) between partner schools: during one week, each rigger will have the chance to explore a peer’s safety and rigging approaches and practices and to exchange on daily challenges.
- Continuous distance cooperation: after each RSE, the partners will work at local level on the chosen topic keeping contact with its paired school thanks to the dedicated RIGGERS Virtual Platform.
To manage the project, a Steering Committee (SC) will be created, with representatives of SKH, FEDEC and project partners. The SC will meet 8 times during the project.
Furthermore, all partner representatives will meet 4 times to take stock of the situation and ensure that project objectives are reached.
THE results & OUTCOMES
RIGGERS foresees a set of tangible and intangible results:
- A survey on the profession of rigger in circus schools, with a report that will suggest possible areas of cooperation and further sustainable actions in view of a stronger professionalisation of the actors operating in this field.
- The RIGGERS Virtual Platform that will be developed in order to allow online cooperation and exchange among peers. The platform will later become an open virtual forum dedicated to the sector of safety and rigging in the field of circus.
- The FED-Talks: a series of video tutorials aimed at sharing schools good practices in safety and rigging with the whole community of circus school riggers in Europe and beyond. The videos, as well as the training materials developed for the tutorials, will remain available after the end of the project.
- The creation of an international professional community of riggers that will use the Virtual Platform to keep on sharing and exchanging on relevant issues.
- The creation of an international community of institutions committed to raise awareness about the importance of rigging & safety in the circus sector.
- Each partner school will have the chance to discover new practices, share and consolidate their own, and find new ways to cooperate in order to improve safety conditions in circus schools.
- Project partners will develop a state of art on rigging and safety, therefore offering tailored solutions to common issues for circus schools.
- RIGGERS will lead to the development of an online safe space for riggers to share and exchange.
- Thanks to the survey, detailed and clear data about the profession of circus school rigger in Europe and Canada will be collected, and will serve as a basis for further initiatives and followup actions.
The project involves a total of 9 partners, including 8 circus schools from 7 different countries:
- École supérieure des arts du cirque (ESAC) - Belgium
- Fédération Européenne des Écoles de Cirque professionnelles (FEDEC) - Belgium
- École Nationale de Cirque (ENC) - Canada
- Academy for Untamed Creativity (AFUK) - Denmark
- École Supérieure des Arts du Cirque Toulouse Occitanie (ESACTO’LIDO) - France
- Fondazione Cirko Vertigo (FCV) - Italy
- Codarts Circus Arts Rotterdam (Codarts) - Netherlands
- Academy of Circus and Performance Art (ACAPA) - Netherlands
- Stockholm University of the Arts (SKH) - Sweden
To learn more, you can download the summary and project timeline below.