The National Centre for Circus Arts involves thousands of people in the creation and performance of circus arts each year, offering world-leading artistic and technical development for circus artists.
At the heart of its programme is three years of full-time study in circus: a two-year Foundation Degree course, with the opportunity to apply for a further top-up year to complete a BA (Hons) Degree. Its degree courses are validated by the University of Kent.
With two large training halls and a range of smaller studios, including acrobatic, aerial, sound and lighting equipment, plus a library, the National Centre for Circus Arts is very well resourced.
It runs a range of other programmes, including professional support for performers and progressive youth circus training.
After many years as a member of the Conservatoire for Dance and Drama (CDD) we have recently been granted independent registration as a Higher Education Provider (HEP). Students enrolling from 2022/23 will complete their studies registered with National Centre for Circus Arts. Students enrolling in 2023/24 should be aware that their course will be registered independently with the National Centre. The courses will continue to be validated by the University of Kent.
- Foundation Degree in Circus Arts (Level 5*): 2 years (more info)
- BA (Hons) Degree in Circus Arts (Level 6*): 1 year (more info)
*Level descriptors as per the UK Regulated Qualifications Framework
- Applicants must be 18 or over on entry.
- Applicants will be able to demonstrate their intent to pursue professional employment in circus arts.
- Applicants will be required to demonstrate a proficiency in both written and verbal English language. For the Foundation Degree in Circus Arts this would normally be GCSE English or equivalent International English Language Testing System. Overseas students may be required to take a Secure English Language Test (SELT) prior to entry in order to meet VISA requirements.
- Applicants must fulfil parts 1 and 2 of the admissions process. If the applicant is from outside the UK or they are unable to attend an audition day they may request to submit a full video audition (instead of attending part 2), however, we recommend attending the live audition.
- There are further entry requirements for BA (Hons) applicants. Please check our BA course page for more information.
CEO: Kate White
Director of Professional Development: Glen Stewart
Head of Higher Education Delivery: Adrian Porter
From mid-September to late July.
National Centre for Circus Arts
London, N1 6HD
Connecting circus students around the world
Founded in 1989
FEDEC member since 1998