The federation is made up of three membership categories
Full members are schools, professional training institutions or teacher training institutions in circus arts. They can be divided into two sub-categories, which are:
- Type 1: Higher Education institutions that deliver a qualification recognised by the state
These are schools or institutions that offer circus arts training or programmes, which have a minimum duration of three years, at the end of which the student is ready to enter the professional sector/the job market and is presented with a qualification recognised by the state.
- Type 2: Preparatory and/or professional schools
These are schools or institutions that offer full-time training programmes in order to prepare the student:
- either with the experience and qualifications needed for the student to be admitted into a higher education institution, in which case the preparatory training should last a minimum of one year;
- or for professional life, in which case the professional training should last a minimum of two years and prepare the student to enter the job market.
These are associations, federations, unions, or companies who are directly connected to the creation, production, dissemination, or promotion of circus arts.
Associate members can either be
- schools that have just joined FEDEC whose application to become a full member is still being processed;
- associations, schools, or clubs that offer circus arts training in the framework of arts education in schools, or for purposes of social inclusion located in non-European countries.