The CADC Balthazar was created in 1990, promoting the emergence of a multifaceted contemporary circus. Since then it has become a resource centre and a place where people can meet, exchange ideas, conduct research and create artistic works.
Its educational and artistic project aims to help individuals develop their characters and creativity through the circus arts, providing tailored coaching to empower them.
The CADC Balthazar is part of a landscape, a pleasant and inspirational cultural city in a large region historically steeped in circus tradition (Archaos, CIRCa, etc.) and contributes to the development of the professional environment by participating in a large number of events and festivals.
It is supported by the French Ministry of Culture and Communication, the Occitania Region, the Department of Hérault, and the Metropolis and the City of Montpellier. It actively participates in federation work (FFEC and FEDEC) and belongs to the Procirk network, awarding the Level III Circus and Movement Artist vocational qualification registered with the French National Register of Professional Certifications. (under renewal)
The vocational artistic training programme “Circus arts and movement" enables students to visualise a professional project by offering two courses:
- A preparatory course for higher education institutions (selections)
The CADC Balthazar is approved by the Ministry of Culture for lessons preparing for entry into higher education establishments for artistic creation for the circus specialty.
- A certifying professional specialization course leading to a qualification: obtaining the professional certification “Circus and movement artist” registered with the RNCP (in the process of renewal)
The training centers: Balthazar in Montpellier, Arc en cirque in Chambéry, Piste d'Azur in La Roquette sur Siagne are grouped into the ProCirK network which issues a level 5 certification (formerly III) “Circus and movement artist” registered the National Directory of Professional Certifications (RNCP).
The training programme produces well-known artistic figures who work in famous companies. The courses take place in several specially adapted locations, in a friendly, attentive and participatory atmosphere, and include:
- An innovative programme of active and creative teaching
- Laboratory workshops for circus creation
- Top quality coaching allowing students to move forward in their choices and find their own personal expression of movement.
- Vocational training for higher schools approved by the Ministry of Culture
- Level 5 certified professional training (bac + 2)
- PEPS - nursery of the creation studio, in partnership with the Domain d'O venue
- Circus Arts Instructor Certificate (BIAC)
- Continuous training in the form of professional internships: dance and aerials, dance and trampoline, dance and circus objects,…
Excellent physical fitness, basics in acrobatics, dance and acting, artistic motivation.
Applicants are preselected by application.
The chosen applicants are then invited for two selection days.
The vocational training programme application pack is available from the Centre des arts du cirque Balthazar website.
Centre des Arts du Cirque Balthazar
16 rue Toiras
Director: Martin Gerbier
Artistic Director: Martine Leroy
- Professional training level 1 and 2: “preparation and specialisation in the circus arts field” : 1190 hours per year. (2 years)
- Preparatory training (1 year)
- Professional training level 3
- Studio residency. Duration variable according to project.
- Brevet d’initiateur aux arts du cirque (Circus Arts Instructor qualification) : 60 hours per year. See FFEC requirements.
- Continuing education (professional workshops): dance and aerial, dance and trampoline, dance and circus objects.
Pre-requisite: Excellent physical health, acrobatic skills, dance skills, acting skills, artistic motivation.
School year from late September to mid-June.
Auditions at the end of June.
The application form for the professional training « Préparation et spécialisation dans les métiers des arts du cirque et du hip hop » 2015-2016 is available on Centre des arts du cirque Balthazar’s website.